Baked Spice Pear with Greek yoghurt & crunchy granola
This is one of my favourite recipe creations to date. It has the perfect balance of spice and is not too sweet! You can always poach the pears the day before your dinner party and warm up slightly to serve. If you don’t want to use red wine, you could always add more water or apple juice would work too!
Tender pears, creamy spiced yoghurt and crunchy granola! What’s not to like!
5 tbspoon red wine
1.5 cup water
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tspoon whole allspice
1 star anise pod in half
½ tspoon ground cinnamon
4 inch fresh ginger
100 grams Low fat Greek yoghurt
1 tspoon ground Cinnamon
1 tbspoon honey
Baked granola – I will include this recipe on another blog post.
* Note – You could use toasted flaked almonds instead.
- Peel the pears and cut them in half from top to bottom, leaving the stems intact. When peeling the pairs do it over a bowl to preserve the skins and any juices.
- Core each pear half by scooping out the center with a melon baller or spoon.
- Combine the water, red wine, lemon juice, honey, pear skin and juices with the spices in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Place the pears in the saucepan with the juices.
- Poach the pears for 20 – 30 minutes or until tender on a very low simmer with the lid on, turn pears half way through cooking.
- Meanwhile combine all the yoghurt ingredients in a small bowl.
- Whilst the pears are poaching, make the granola or toast the almonds and set aside.
- Once the pears have cooked through, pour a small amount of the syrup in the bottom of a dessert bowl and place the pears on top.
- Serve with the yoghurt and crunchy granola