Avocado is in-fact a fruit and a yummy one at that! Avocados are high in healthy fats and are incredibly nutritious and contain a wide variety of nutrients. The most abundant nutrients are Vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, B5, B6, E and potassium (more potassium than bananas). Avocados don’t contain any cholesterol or sodium and are low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated oleic acid – a heart healthy fatty acid!
Guacamole is an avocado based dip originating in Mexico. It is a nutritious dip packed full of flavour using very minimal ingredients. The recipe below is my take on a chunky guacamole – the best version of this classic dip in my eyes!
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 red onion, diced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, thinly diced
- Splash of Tabasco sauce- optional
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- Handful of fresh coriander, thinly sliced (save some for decorating)
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Place all the guacamole ingredients in a bowl and mash the mixture using the back of a fork.
- Serve with vegetable crudités or tortilla chips and enjoy!
Note – If not serving straight away place the pip of the avocado in the bowl with the other ingredients to prevent the dip from going brown.
Please let me know how you go with this recipe and don’t forget to tag me in your creations!