Aubergines are quickly becoming one of my all time favourite vegetables! I have always loved eating them however never cooked with them up until the last 6 months or so. They are so versatile and easy to cook with too! They are not as popular as other vegetables however they should be consumed on a regular basis as they are packed full of vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre! Try making this easy warm aubergine dip when you next have guests over as it is one that will certainly impress.
- Two medium aubergines
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- a big pinch of salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Cut the aubergines in half length ways. Score the inside flesh with crosses and drizzle with salt and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Place the aubergines skin down on baking tray.
- Add the whole garlic cloves (skin still on) to the baking tray along side the aubergines and roast in the oven for roughly 35 minutes or until the aubergines are nicely cooked through and creamy.
- Onced cooked through, remove the aubergines from the oven and allow to cool briefly.
- Whilst the aubergines are cooling, place the remainder of the ingredients in a food processor.
- Next scoop the flesh of the aubergines out of the skin and place in the food processor.
- Blitz the mixture until combined well, you may have to scrape down the sides and blend again.
- Place in a nice serving bowl and sprinkle an additional bit of cumin on top.
- There are so many way you could served this but my favourites are as a dip or even in a middle eastern inspired chicken wrap! You could even blend it until completely smooth and serve as a puree with other middles eastern or even Mediterranean flavours!
Let me know how you get on and what you serve it with!