Believe me when I tell you this pesto is like no other, it transforms every dish I add it to! I literally put it on absolutely everything! Yum, yum, yum! I have become addicted and better yet it could not be easier to make too! Pesto is traditionally made with a fairly large amount of parmesan, I have removed the cheese as I believe that when you roast the garlic and toast the pine nuts it brings out so much flavour in the sauce and gives it a nice creamy texture. Trust me you won’t ever go back to store bought pesto!
- 2 packed cups of fresh basil leaves
- 1 small garlic bulb
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees
- Cut the top of the garlic bulb off and wrap the entire bulb in aluminium foil. Place in the oven to roast for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts by placing them in a dry saucepan, cook over a low heat until golden. (Keep an eye on the pine nuts as they can easily burn)
- Next zest and juice the lemon and place in a high-powered blender along with the pine nuts, seasoning and basil.
- Once the garlic has cooked, squeeze out the garlic cloves out through the end that you trimmed and place in the blender with other ingredients.
- Pulse the ingredients together whilst slowly drizzling in the extra virgin olive oil.
- It should become smooth, fragrant and creamy within no time!
- Place in a sterilised glass jar and enjoy!