Don’t let the title of this recipe deter you, it is extremely easy and very good for you! This recipe is a great way to incorporate beans into your diet. Beans are a nutrient dense food, they contain several vital nutrients including folate, protein, antioxidants, fiber and more. They are also extremely cheap and readily available at any supermarket. Give this dish a go and I can guarantee you, you will be making it over and over again!
- 2 cans of butter beans, drained and rinse
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed200 mL stock/broth
- Half a lemon and zest
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt – if needed
For the stock, I used 1 large tablespoon of beef stock concentrate and added 200 mls of water to it. I used urban forager beef stock concentrate but any stock will do. Be mindful that if you are using the urban forager that it is extremely well salted so no additional salt will be needed.
- Place the olive in a none stick saucepan with the onions and sauté for a few minutes until the onions have softened. Next add the garlic clove and all the butter beans, continue to saute for a few further minutes.
- Next add the stock, lemon juice and tahini. Stir the ingredients through thoroughly.
- Next turn down the heat and allow to simmer for a few minutes, until all the broth has been soaked up.
- Remove from the heat and test for seasoning. Serve with the fresh lemon zest.