I remember as a child being served Brussel Sprouts that were completely overcooked and soggy – not a fond memory at all! Oh how times have changed, I could seriously eat them every day now especially when served with crispy pancetta, cranberries and glazed pecans. This recipe is so easy to whip together and is the perfect companion to your Christmas turkey!
- 500 grams Brussels sprouts
- 200 grams pancetta
- 150 grams pecans
- 1-2 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 spring onion
- Small bunch of kale
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon raw honey
- Salt and pepper to season
- Rinse the Brussel sprouts and remove the base of them. Using a food processor with a fine blade attachment, shave all the Brussel sprouts into a nice fine texture and place in a large salad bowl ready to serve.
- Place the pancetta in a frying pan and fry for several minutes until crunchy and golden brown – most of the fat should have rendered off by this stage. Place the pancetta on a side plate lined with kitchen roll to allow any excess fat to drain off.
- Slightly toast the pecans in another frying pan for a few minutes, next coat the pecans with the honey and fry for a further few minutes until nicely glazed. Keep your eye on the pecans as they can easily burn! Remove the pecans and spread them out onto a piece of baking paper. Allow to cool.
- Thinly slice the kale and the spring onion, add to the serving bowl along with the dried cranberries.
- To make the dressing, whisk together all the ingredients until completely combined.
- Add the pecans, pancetta and salad dressing to the bowl and mix through thoroughly.