I have fallen head over heels for mushrooms lately, oh my they are so yummy especially when they are whipped up with some garlic and thyme! Mmmm Mmm!
Mushrooms are high in antioxidants, selenium and vitamin D and B.
This is such an easy recipe which takes a matter of minutes to make. I have served this as a side dish to dinner or even on-top of some smashed avocado on toast for breakfast – the dream.
- 300 grams mushrooms (I used portobeliini)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 6 sprigs thyme leaves
- Cracked pepper
- Wash the mushrooms and slice them.
- Heat up the olive oil in a sauce pan over a medium heat, add in the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.
- Next place in the coconut milk, tamari, thyme leaves and cracked pepper.
- Allow to cook for a further few minutes until the liquid has slightly evaporated.
- Serve with some additional fresh thyme and season with salt and pepper if it needs it.
I make these burgers whenever I have leftover quinoa, they are so easy to make and a great meatless option that still contain a lot of protein within them. I love serving them with some homemade caramelised onion, sweet potato chips and a dollop of paleo mayo!
Makes 8 large patties
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup Flahavan oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon of Himalayan salt & black pepper
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 large carrot grated
- ½ large zucchini, grated
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of ½ lemon
- A handful of parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- Olive oil to cook
- Prepare all your ingredients before you begin.
- In a food processor add the drained can of chickpeas with the ground cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and oats and blitz until it is a smooth paste.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the 2 cups of cooked quinoa, lemon zest and juice, carrots, zucchini, onion, garlic, mustard, balsamic vinegar, egg, parsley and coconut flour. Give it a big stir and then add in the chickpea mixture from the blender.
- Make sure all the ingredients are well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a patty.
- Place the patties on a piece of baking paper, cover and allow to sit in the fridge for an hour before cooking. Chilling the patties will help them hold together during the cooking process.
- Once refrigerated, remove from the fridge and place the patties in a hot saucepan with some good quality olive oil. Allow to cook on a medium to low heat for about 4 minutes each side!
- Serve on a bed of rocket with your favourite chutney and mayo!
After my recent trip to Thailand, I have come back with a new love for Thai food. The Thai’s have an amazing way of balancing out so many ingredients creating the most amazing flavour! Sweet, sour, salty, spicy and bitter flavours are carefully combined to make the most delicious and aromatic dishes!
Below I have created my take on a coconut and lemongrass fragrant rice dish, it really is an easy recipe which will be sure to impress your dinner guests! I like to enjoy it either as a vegetarian option by itself with some added vegetables or it is a great accompaniment to a Thai style curry.
I hope you enjoy it just as much as I do!
- 120 grams brown rice
- 2 kafir lime leaves
- 1 stick of lemongrass
- 1 red chilli (or half depending on how spicy you like it)
- Fresh ginger, about a thumb size
- 1 medium sized shallot
- A large handful or coriander
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 200mil coconut milk
- 100 mil filtered water
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- Fresh lime wedges to serve
- Put the brown rice in a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil and then lower the temperature down to a simmer for 15 minutes. Drain the rice and set aside. The rice will only be half cooked as it will be finished off in the pan with the spices towards the end of the recipe.
- Place all the following ingredients in a blender, kafir lime leaves, chilli, ginger, shallot, coriander, coconut oil and blitz together to make a fragrant, coarse paste.
- Next place some more coconut oil in a large pan and add the paste mixture into the pan. Cook the paste for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next add the brown rice into the pan along with the coconut milk, water and fish sauce.
- Allow the mixture boil then lower to a simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. You may need to add some more water half way to help the rice cook through.
- Serve with some fresh coriander and a wedge of lime.
Char grilled broccolini with peas, caramelized onion served with a zesty lemon, honey, tahini dressing!
600 grams broccolini
2 tbsp olive oil
Himalyan salt and pepper
1 large red onion
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
250grams frozen peas
40 grams tahini (sesame paste)
4 tsp lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, minced
½ cup of water
2 tsp white sesame seeds
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil with a pinch of salt
- Once boiled, blanch the broccolini for about 3 min
tes until al dente.
- Drain the broccolini and set aside to dry out
- Next thinly slice the red onion and place in a hot pan with 1 tbsp of the olive oil, the balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt. Allow the onions to caramelize on a low heat for about 5 minutes, keep an eye on them and stir every now and again.
- Place the frozen peas in the microwave and defrost
- Once the broccolini has dried out, place in a bowl with the remaining tbsp. of oil and salt and pepper. Mix through.
- Place a griddle pan on the heat and allow to get really hot. Place the brocoolini in the pan with the defrosted peas and allow the veg to char.
- To make the dressing, place the tahini, honey, garlic and lemon in a bowl and mix through. Next add the water and keep whisking until it becomes a thick smooth consistency.
- To serve, mix the broccolini, peas and onion in a bowl and place on a serving platter. Dress with the tahini sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Enjoy with family and friends!