After my recent trip to Thailand, I have come back with a new love for Thai food. The Thai’s have an amazing way of balancing out so many ingredients creating the most amazing flavour! Sweet, sour, salty, spicy and bitter flavours are carefully combined to make the most delicious and aromatic dishes!
Below I have created my take on a coconut and lemongrass fragrant rice dish, it really is an easy recipe which will be sure to impress your dinner guests! I like to enjoy it either as a vegetarian option by itself with some added vegetables or it is a great accompaniment to a Thai style curry.
I hope you enjoy it just as much as I do!
- 120 grams brown rice
- 2 kafir lime leaves
- 1 stick of lemongrass
- 1 red chilli (or half depending on how spicy you like it)
- Fresh ginger, about a thumb size
- 1 medium sized shallot
- A large handful or coriander
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 200mil coconut milk
- 100 mil filtered water
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- Fresh lime wedges to serve
- Put the brown rice in a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil and then lower the temperature down to a simmer for 15 minutes. Drain the rice and set aside. The rice will only be half cooked as it will be finished off in the pan with the spices towards the end of the recipe.
- Place all the following ingredients in a blender, kafir lime leaves, chilli, ginger, shallot, coriander, coconut oil and blitz together to make a fragrant, coarse paste.
- Next place some more coconut oil in a large pan and add the paste mixture into the pan. Cook the paste for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next add the brown rice into the pan along with the coconut milk, water and fish sauce.
- Allow the mixture boil then lower to a simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. You may need to add some more water half way to help the rice cook through.
- Serve with some fresh coriander and a wedge of lime.